Monday, March 09, 2009

Motivational Monday

Positive Ways to Deal with Naysayers


My friend emailed me the other day and told me to check out the Amazon reviews for The Energy Bus. In the midst of a bunch of positive reviews there was one that said, “The content wouldn’t even get you on the show, Are you smarter than a 5th Grader.” My first reaction was to laugh. I wondered how he knew that I always get beat by the 5th graders on that show. My second reaction was to give him credit for a brilliant and funny jab. If you are going to put someone’s work down you might as well be creative. But he obviously missed one of the statements in the book that says the closer we get to truth the simpler the lessons become.


The book wasn’t meant to be complicated. It was meant to share simple truths on how to take on negativity at work and in life. The irony was clear. I was dealing with a naysayer who was being negative about a book that is about how to take on naysayers. I reminded myself of a central message in The Energy Bus that I believe we all need to remember …especially now.


Everyone of us will have to face naysayers on our journey. Not everyone will see what you see. Not everyone will share your vision and optimism. Not everyone will believe what you believe. That’s why your positive energy must be greater than anyone’s negativity. You certainty must be greater than their doubt.


Gandhi advised, “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet,” and neither should you. This includes the media who are trying to do more than just walk through your mind with their dirty feet . They’re trying to roll around in your mind with horse manure 24/7.


Today I want to encourage you to be stronger and more powerful than the fear mongers and naysayers. Don’t believe the hype. Don’t buy into the fear. Don’t listen to the negativity. Tune them out. Focus everyday on being your best and bring out the best in others. Realize that naysayers are like germs. Just as exposure to germs strengthens your immune system, naysayers are meant to strengthen your resolve and determination to make an impact. They are meant to test the depths of your desire and the size of your faith. But if you know what you are here to do and why you are here to do it then the power of your purpose will be greater than any challenge or naysayer.


I may not be smarter than a fifth grader but I know this: Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me. :)


How do you Deal with Naysayers? Share your thoughts on our blog.

Stay Positive,
-Jon

Post a Comment